Friday 8 September 2017

The Golden Rule.




What is the golden rule on scale modelling? Some may say to have the best build they can achieve. Other will say to actually finish their kits. There are many reasons why anyone would take up this hobby but ask yourself, what is that real reason you went into scale modelling?

I have been working on plastic kits since when I was a teenager, and for the life of me, I could only think of one reason why I did it. I enjoyed it. I have always loved building things, learning new techniques and getting amazed with the results. It helped when I have a group of friends who shared this hobby. As we grew up, it became a passion. I continued to build because I enjoyed building, especially when the kit is from a favourite topic I follow. Of course when it came to a group build, I do get intimidated when I find out a master builder is participating. But that pressure became fun later on as I push myself to improve on my skills and techniques. Ask me 35 years ago if I dared to cut up a fuselage, or butcher a perfectly molded expensive kit, and you would see real horror on my face. Today I don't even hesitate putting the saw to cut her up.

The joy I get differs today from when I was a youth. I no longer build as freely as I did before due to my career, other commitments and age. And I do get satisfaction encouraging others, helping them to get their desired kits, trying out newer techniques, being part of a team to develop this hobby. But sometimes what I also see out there really pains me. Rivet counters, people who criticizes others due to accuracy issues, and people who blatantly kill the hobby with their over zealous and arrogant comments or posts in forums, blogs and FB. They are not doing anyone any favours, and only serve to segregate themselves from everyone else. And whenever politics comes within groups, instead of working together to help grow this already shrinking tradition, they find gratification glorifying themselves or playing victims. If I was a new comer and I see these sort of behavious, it would certainly put me off participating or contributing to the hobby. I guess some people are truly blind to this as all they want is to garner support no matter what the outcome is.

I've had my share of run ins with these group of people, and every time when I get frustrated, I ask myself why do I still continue with this passion. Hence the golden rule - because I still enjoy it. There is no limit to how creative one can get to produce something one have visualized in his/her mind. It is personal, it is gratifying, it is also an escape. And I refuse to let anyone tell me otherwise, after all, it is a personal choice. I get to enjoy the fruits of my passion, not them.
























So don't get disheartened whenever something negative happens to you. Always remember your own golden rule - why did you get into this hobby. Reconcile your feelings, and look ahead. Never ever let anyone steal this passion away from you. It's your escape from reality, your chance to see your own achievements, and getting your own satisfaction. No one has the right to take that away from you.






4 comments:

  1. I agree 99% I build for enjoyment & to see if a idea can be made. In plastic? I think I have a very accurate collection of models of real & not so real models. I just was given the opportunity to write a column in a Magazine about my Model Fire Apparatus building. I build to suit me. All but a few parts of my builds are made by me. I really enjoy the hobby & hope that some day like Van Goth or Renoir? My 3 dimensional works of art will be looked on as a interesting part of life for us Baby Boomers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No matter if some one searches for his vital thing, therefore he/she desires to be available
    that in detail, therefore that thing is maintained over here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have stopped all model building. I had a treatment to help deal with constant pain. Well the pain went away & now lost use of fingers in fine detail. I feel like the Twilight Zone episode of a man, Burgess Meredith wanted more time to read. After destruction of Earth in a war. He had all the time to read. Well that ended when his glasses fell off & broke. Can't see of feel the parts any more. Now have a large collection of models I wanted to build but can't. I was told last year a event was to take place at Toledo Toy Show in the fall 2018. I was looking forward to the display with friends. NOW? Not sure what happen? I can't find the show or friends? Guess this is my Twilight Zone?? Selling all my unbuilt kits before they end up in trash. My Family does not share my interest in model building.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. is this working? I am blocked from commenting?

      Delete